Below are the projects that the center needs support in (cash or kind) to undertake/expand. Please feel free to pick a project and suggest the kind of support you can give.
Project 1 – Drug and Alcohol Awareness Campaign
- Awareness campaigns are held in schools, organizations, churches etc.
- Presentation on Harmful Effects of Drug and Alcohol Addiction
- Recovered addicts share testimonies and experiences
- Audience interaction (question and answer sessions between recovered addicts, resource people etc)
Project 2 – Outreach Program (Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays)
- Areas for outreach programmes include ghettos/slums, prisons, hospitals, streets and market places.
- Volunteers are split into groups, and will be lead with group leaders.
- During outreach food, clothes, water and bibles are shared and the Word of God is shared.
- Any addict, who wish to join the programme are directed to the Rehab Center.
Project 3 – Medical Screening (Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays)
- Medical screening is done on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays in the ghettos and on Tuesdays and Thursdays in schools.
- It includes checking blood pressure, screening for malaria parasites, HIV/AIDS screening etc
- Trained HIV technical counselors educate the public and provide counseling services.
- Any individuals found to be reactive are referred to a hospital for further tests and treatment with ARVs.
Project 4 –Tanzania Clean Country Campaign (Tree Planting& Clean-up Exercise) –2 months
- Volunteers are expected to research and find out locations in Dar es salaam where tree planting and clean-up exercises would be most ideal for the disciples.
- With the help of members of staff volunteers are to locate companies that will sponsor seedlings for the exercise and constantly supply water for the upkeep of the plants.
- Sponsorship; identifying of ideal locations; clean-up exercises; and tree planting should occur within the two months that the volunteer will be around.
Project 5 –Football or any other sport (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays)
- Clients who wish to join the football team will go to a football park to train.
- The volunteer coach will select the best players to form a football team.
- The team will be trained on a daily basis.
- Volunteers are expected to contact other teams in the area and set up football matches on a constant basis.
- Clients who do not want to join the team but still want to exercise can also join the training programme on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Project 6 –Choir/Music Band
- Clients who can sing and play instruments will form a choir.
- Volunteers will take them through daily voice training and rehearsals.
- Choir will prepare for and perform during all TZHuru Rehab Center events including outreach programmes, graduations etc.
- Volunteers will also book concerts and other programmes with churches, choral groups etc
Project 7 –Computer Skills Training
- Volunteers teach interested disciples basic computer skills
- Clients are introduced to the use of a computer including types of hardware devices, saving documents etc
- Basic software training is given such as using MS-Office etc
- Typing lessons will also be given
- All skills learned will be tested after each lesson
Project 9 – Music Lessons (instruments and vocals)
- Volunteers teach disciples how to play the guitar, keyboard and conga drums
- Lessons will be held on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for one hour
- Clients taking part in these lessons need not be part of the Huru Band
Project 10 – Book Writing
- Clients testimonies and life experiences will be detailed in a series of books on addiction
- Clients will also write various books about the Christian faith, living for the Lord etc.
Project 11 – Farming
- Clients who graduate can be employed to work on the Center’s farm at Kimanzichana
- Any crops grown on the farm can be used to meet the Center’s feeding needs
Project 12 – Pottery
- Kimanzichana go to Bagamoyo to create various handicrafts on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- This teaches them a new skill and helps to harness their creativity
- Any pottery made can be sold to raise funds for the organization